At Tutors Online we take privacy very seriously and we are currently updating all our records and processes to ensure that we are fully meeting the data protection standards introduced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on 25 May 2018.
We are registered as data processors with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
The categories of information that we collect, hold and may share include:
- personal information (such as name, address, date of birth, profile picture, searches and payment details)
- characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth, correspondence between
- Tutor and Student/Tutee, feedback from students).
The lawful basis on which we use this information
We collect and use information under the following lawful bases established by the GDPR.
- Legitimate interests: the processing involves using your data in ways you would reasonablyexpect and which have a minimal privacy impact.
- Legal obligation: the processing is necessary for us to comply with the law (submitting data to Government Departments for example).
Who we share information with
Below is a broad list of data collection used for promotion only.
However, your personal details will never be used for this without your prior consent.
We may share statistical information with:
- local authorities
- suppliers and contractors
- government departments
- other companies within the group
- advertising/marketing groups
Why we share information
We do not share information with anyone without your consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
We are required to share certain data with official bodies (such as HMRC or the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)) on a statutory basis.
Data collection requirements
To be granted access to any information we hold, organisations must comply with strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of the data, security arrangements and retention and use of the data.
We do not keep data for any longer than necessary and do not allow its use for any purpose other than that for which it has been collected. Should new processes be introduced into the organisation or innovative uses of the data we hold, you will be kept informed at each stage.
We use the following necessary Cookies:
- To remember you on the site and to maintain your use of the site
- Data analysis or how many users are using the site
Requesting access to your personal data
Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to information about you that is held by this organisation. To make a request for your personal information, contact email@example.com who will deal with the request within 30 days.
You also have the right to:
- object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means and
- in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed.
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. This does not affect your right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) (ico.org.uk).
As detailed above, Tutors Online will only use your personal information to administer your account and to provide the products and services you have requested from us.
Manage your account on this website where you may need to give your username and password.
We have added a section (under “Account settings”) which lists our uses of your data, indicates who can see your details and confirms where you have given permission in this regard.
This section also allows you to view and manage your security settings and consent preferences and reminds you of your rights to:
- access your personal data
- request the removal of data which is no longer relevant or being used
- change or withdraw consent at any time.
You will be notified on the website of any such changes and it will be accepted that you have read and accepted the updated version on your first use of the website thereafter.
Currently we work with the following companies:
- PayPal / PayPal Holdings Inc (USA) – Our online payment provider
- Google / Google LLC (USA) – Provides traffic analytics for our website
- BrainCert (USA) – Provides services to support our online whiteboard
- We Dig Media (UK) – Provides website support and hosting
Your data may be shared with these companies to ensure we can develop and maintain our services.